Thursday, September 11, 2008

Blessed

I happened to be in the day ward of a hospital today. While I was there, an old man was wheeled in and put in the bay across the aisle. He lay there, every bone-thin inch of him curled into a foetal position. He made no sound, just lay there with his eyes scrunched tight against the pain. Helpless, unable even to control his own bodily functions, he had to suffer the ignominy of having his diaper changed by the caring nurses. He had no friends, no family, no visitors to soothe him and ease the pain. 

It's hard to see, sometimes, how blessed I really am. Young and healthy, surrounded by family and friends, I couldn't want for anything more. It recently hit me how fragile life is. A simple trip can leave one with a fractured elbow or more. Just when you least expect it, the worst news can hit: terminal illness, the death of a loved one, leaving your life changed forever. 

As we go through life, it's easy to slip into our routines, easy to let it slide into the mundane. But every once in a while, something comes along to wake you up, urging you to LIVE. With Passion and Zest and Energy. 

Thank you, Uncle, for reminding me of that. I hope that as closing time drew near, you had someone to pick you up, someone to drive you to a loving home, where friends and family are waiting to pamper you.

No comments: