Monday, September 15, 2008

And we all fall down

Ten banking houses in the world
Ten banking houses
One fell, what the hell
Nine banking houses in the world

And repeat

And repeat

Replace "banking" with "mortgage" and repeat twice more

How many will fall before this crisis is over? How much wealth, imaginary or otherwise, down the drain? And that's just the start of it. I can just see, in my mind, two bombs dropping like on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Except this time it's not so clear who are the villains and who are the victims. Who will be the victors and who the vanquished? I can just picture the aftershocks rippling through the world, with us mere mortals struggling to pick ourselves up, while the CEOs are floating gently down to earth with their golden parachutes.

"Fee! Fie! Fo! Fum!," said the Wall Street giants
I smell the blood of Americans with poor credit history!
Be they 'live, or be they dead,
I'll grind their bones to make my bread.

Just as in the story, the arrangement was mutually beneficial for a while, but in the end, the giants, like the fictitious giant, fell, except this time the consequences are very very real.

No comments: