Saturday, May 24, 2008

Reflections

It's my last weekend in Seoul and I can't help but think back to my last weekend in New York. Of course I didn't know it was my last weekend at the time. It was the weekend of my birthday and I spent a lovely Sunday in Metuchen with my college roommates. The following Friday night found me appreciating the majestic skyline of New York from a rooftop party in Roosevelt Island with one of my best friends, followed by brunch in a cherry blossom-filled restaurant with my roommates and tea back at my place. By the time I left, I was itching to go, itching to spend some time in Asia again and at home. But now, five weeks later, I'm missing my friends and I'm missing the tiny apartment that I used to call home.


From the outside, it might appear to be a glamorous lifestyle - the luxurious hotel rooms, the exotic cities, the expense account. But it's also a lonely lifestyle, coming back to an empty, impersonal hotel room after a long day in the office. My heart aches, sometimes, with the loneliness. I miss you guys. I miss having roots. I want to have a closet again, not just live out of a suitcase.

The good news is I'm being sent to the Singapore office where I'll be on the beach for the next month or so. I'm looking forward to some downtime and weekends at home. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

omigod, look at that skyline. man i LOVE NYC. i miss it, but i don't know how i can when i've only visited 9 days! aah the rantings of a woman lost to love ;)