Saturday, August 30, 2008

Missing NYC

While randomly channel surfing the other day (is this considered a sport yet? I'm a pro athlete if it is!), I came across a program on the Travel Channel about a group of students who were touring America and the stop of the day happened to be the Big Apple. Watching all the familiar New York scenes flash by brought back so many memories.

I miss NYC.

Top 5 things I miss about New York City

1. My friends


We moved to the big bad city together after graduation, ready to conquer the world. Wish we could spend more time together. Skype and emails are just not the same.

2. The food!
I love the variety of food in New York. There are cuisines from all around the world here, and best of all, lots of free delivery places! Some of my favourite places include:

Best pizza in town - John's Pizzeria
They have three locations in town, but I prefer the one in midtown, opposite the Phantom theater. Their pizzas are thin crust, crunchy and to die for.

Best Asian fusion food - Asia de Cuba
I went there for a Restaurant Week lunch one day. In fact, I went to quite a few restaurants for Restaurant Week, and this one was one of the most memorable. The calamari salad with a mix of chayote, hearts of palm, bananas, cashews, chicory, and radicchio with spicy sesame orange dressing was out of this world.

Best Malaysian food - Penang

There are a few locations in town, but my favourite is the one in Chinatown, off Canal street. It's a good place to go whenever I'm craving food from home, but nothing compares to the laksa in Paramount!

Best Yakitori - Oh! Taisho
"Insanely cool" little hole in the wall place in St. Mark's Place. Their specialty is Yakitori - Japanese barbeque. Just about everything on the menu is good. Try the smelt eggs. :)


3. The shopping
I mostly mean grocery shopping, because I'm not much of a clothes/books/shoes/whatever shopper. Except when I'm bored and I'm at home. But that's another story :P However, one of my favourite places to shop is Steve & Barry's at the Manhattan Mall in Herald Square. They're the only store in town that carries Sarah Jessica Parker's line. Just before I left the city, they were having an $8.99 sale. EVERYTHING in the store, including shoes and clothes was on sale for $8.99. I love the SJP jeans - one of the few in town, no make that the country that fits me without needing hemming. Sigh I find it ridiculously difficult to buy pants in this country.

My favourite grocery store is Trader Joe's. I especially like their org
anic collection - affordable veges, canned food, and even toiletries. Try their recycled toilet paper and environmentally-friendly laundry detergent.

I also miss buying cheap cheese, chips and salsa, and pear cider. Can't find these things at home! :(


4. The convenience
I love NYC for its convenience. Everything you could possibly want is a few steps away. From grocery stores to cool shopping to good food to hot bars. If it's not within walking distance, a short subway ride will get you there. I definitely want to live in a place where I can walk to the shops - it's impossible to do that here in Malaysia! I'd be a stinking puddle of sweat by the time I got to wherever I was going. Oops. Too graphic? :P


5. The scenes
Most of all, I miss New York City for the city itself. From the stunning skyline to the large parks to the non-stop vibrancy of the city. I have too many favourite spots in the city to list them all, but one of places at the top of my list has to be Union Square. I love all the restaurants around the area, and best of all, the farmer's market held here four times a week, where regional small family farmers come here to sell their wares. These pictures are from the Wikipedia entry because I never took pictures! It just didn't seem like the thing a local would do - and I was a local for a while. Now I regret it :(


One of these days, I'll go back. Looking forward to a gorgeous reunion!

No comments: