Saturday, April 26, 2008

Lap of luxury

After 14 hours on a plane, which didn't feel as long as I thought it would (being in business class might have had something to do with it), I arrived in Seoul at 4.30 am. The cab driver fleeced us as we drove past the sleeping city on the way to the hotel, but the Park Hyatt was a very pleasant surprise. The lobby, for one, is on the top floor, with floor to ceiling windows on three sides showing gorgeous views of the city. The room, for another, is the most luxurious room I have ever had the pleasure of staying in.


The room is decorated along minimalist lines with wood and stone everywhere. Electronic panels control everything from the lighting to the air conditioning and the curtains. The flatscreen TV comes with a DVD player and all the channels I could want. There is a small round table that is perfect for eating at and working on. There's also a fully equipped mini bar and a panel hidden in the wall produces a high-speed kettle when pressed. The closet can be accessed from both the room and the bathroom, which I find really cool.

The bathroom is gorgeous, and bigger than my room in New York. A temperature controller assures that the rain shower is always at the same temperature when I turn it on. The water pressure is amazing, and there is a mirror right by the shower, presumably for me to ponder all the faults of my body as I shower. The bathtub is deep and wide, although I haven't actually tried it, and there is a TV screen in the wall.

The vanity is fully equipped with everything you could think of, including, luckily, hair ties, which I forgot in New York. Best of all, the toilet seat is warmed, and the toilet comes with a built in bidet, complete with front, back, and oscillating functions.

The service in the hotel is amazing too. The iron I requested was delivered within minutes, and I get complimentary bottles of water whenever I request them (the tap water is not safe for consumption here, unfortunately).

The gym, which I've actually been using quite often (shock and awe!) is on the 23rd floor, again with floor to ceiling glass panels, allowing me to look out at Seoul as it wakes up. There is an infinity pool on the top floor, and a sauna in the ladies' locker room which I've yet to try.

The only drawback about this hotel is that its a little far from downtown Seoul. However, it's one subway stop from work, which is incredibly convenient. Unfortunately, we're thinking of moving to a Starwoods hotel, both for the points and because it's significantly cheaper than this place. We went to check out the Westin Chosun in downtown Seoul yesterday. The hotel comes with a driving range, putting practice, hot tubs, and a killer espresso machine (not that I care about this last feature). Unfortunately, it's about 40 minutes away by subway, which is already packed on a Saturday afternoon so I don't want to imagine the conditions during rush hour. Anyway, I'll keep you guys updated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pei! I'm glad to see that you got to SK safely! And glad to hear that you're enjoying your swank pad.
Leon

PS. the description of the "built in bidet, complete with front, back, and oscillating functions" was highly unnecessary.