Saturday, April 25, 2009

I saw a really interesting article in The Star today about dry mushing. Can't seem to find it on their site, but basically, mushing is when dogs pull a sled over snow, and dry mushing is when dogs pull tricycles and carts and really anything with wheels over dry land, be it a tarred road or grass.



Apparently a mutt or mongrel is the ideal dry mushing dog, but somehow I can't see Kinte pulling me along on anything. Sure, he would pull, but I would also probably end up in a drain somewhere. Also, dogs overheat very easily, so the article cautions that people should only do this when it's under 20C. Wonder why The Star decided to feature this sport then, given that the mercury has been soaring this past week. 

The principle of the sport sounds great - your dog gets some exercise, you get to see some nice scenery and spend quality time with your dog - but I think if I could get Kinte to pull anything, it would be one of those manual lawn mowers. Why not get more benefit out of it if you're going to harness your dog to some wheeled contraption anyway? :P

No comments: